As a San Antonio homeowner, one of the biggest repair jobs you’ll face is replacing your roof. When it’s time for a roof replacement, you may be tempted to purchase inexpensive shingles in an effort to save money. This is a bad idea for a number of reasons, which is why we would like to explore the benefits of quality shingles with you.
Asphalt shingles come in three different grades, depending upon their quality. They are:
- Lowest grade shingles, which consist of three tabs, and are very flat. These shingles have a shorter warranty period
- Medium grade shingles, which are somewhat thicker than the lowest grade shingles.
- Top-grade shingles, sometimes known as “dimensional shingles” because they are much thicker and provide your roof with more visual texture. They also have a longer warranty than any of the other types.
Disadvantages of Low Quality Shingles
Since the lowest grade of shingles is much thinner, they are more prone to damage, such as from hail. To be prepared for a San Antonio hail storm, you’ll need shingles with at least a Class 4 impact rating, otherwise your shingles may crack and cause you to need emergency roof repair. The Texas Department of Insurance recognizes the importance of high impact shingles and offers a discount for homeowners who install those with a Class 4 impact rating.
Aside from being prone to hail damage, cheap shingles are also not recommended because:
- They tend to lose granules sooner, meaning your roof won’t be protected very well during our Texas storm season.
- They are thinner and more likely to blow away during a heavy windstorm, leading to the need for emergency roof repair.
- They require repairs much sooner, so any savings you do realize at first is negotiated.
Advantages of Quality Shingles
Even though quality shingles may cost more initially, they will be well worth the money spent in the long run, as they:
- Will provide you with the best coverage possible during a storm, reducing the need for emergency roof repair.
- Last longer and require fewer repairs
- May actually increase energy efficiency
Even though all of us need to watch our pocketbooks when planning for home repairs, at Quality Roofing we recommend using top quality shingles from GAF in order to ensure your repair job lasts as long as possible and provides you with superior results. Doing so can improve the aesthetics of your San Antonio home while actually saving you money in the long run.
If you find yourself in need of emergency roof repair, contact Quality Roofing. We have been a leader in roofing in the San Antonio area since 1991 and are a company known for our quality and trustworthinessRoof Repairs